Fort William, in ruins, had to be mostly re-built and this saw the introduction of military-style architecture to public buildings in urban settings. For most of the 17th century the commercial interests of the East India Company (EIC) was managed from Fort St. George in Madras (Chennai). The outline of the fort is an irregular rectangle. Discovery of India – The Birth of the Bengal Presidency, Calcutta & the British Raj Part of the Spotlight feature Jewel in the Crown. It was built by Colonel Robert Clive after the Battle of Plassey (1757) and the British settlement of Calcutta grew around it. The site of the fort is marked with the letter a. 1717 The Mughal emperor Farrukh-siyar granted the East India Company freedom of trade in return for a yearly payment of 3,000 rupees. There were few good roads. Cyclones in 1864, 1867, and 1870, however, devastated the poorer, low-lying areas. In 1699 the EIC declared Bengal as a separate Presidency and named the fort to be built in Calcutta as Fort William after the then British monarch William III. With its proto-industrial economy, Bengal contributed to the first Industrial Revolution in Britain (particularly in textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution). It was Hedges’ idea to build a fortified port close to the mouth of the Hooghly River to protect British interests from other European powers as well as from subordinates of the Nawab of Bengal. In 1858, administrative power was handed over from the East India Company to the British Crown, and in 1869 the foundation stone for Victoria Memorial Hall was laid by Prince of Wales (opened in 1921). The British started developing Calcutta as a presidency unit and sought permission from the Governor to use their own army to protect their factories, which they got. In World War II, Japanese air raids upon the Calcutta docks caused damage and loss of life. It increased to nearly 120,000 by 1752 and to 180,000 by 1821. The Indian sector of Calcutta also became a busy hub of commerce and was thronged with people from throughout India and many other parts of Asia. However, manipulatively, they began constructing the fortress with all available manpower. Victory in the June 1757 battle of Plassey opened up a vast majority of Northern India to the British and contributed to the emergence of Calcutta as the Imperial Capital. One of Kolkata's most enduring Raj-era edifices, it extends over an area of 70.9 hectares. A supreme court administering English law began to exercise original jurisdiction over the city as far as the Maratha Ditch (now Acharya Prafulla Chandra and Jagadish Chandra Bose roads). 1727 As per the order of King George I, a civil court was set up. The large lake east of the fort is now called Lal Dighi. By successive stages, as British power extended over the subcontinent, the whole of northern India became a hinterland for the port of Calcutta. The nawab was defeated shortly afterward at Plassey (June 1757), after which British rule in Bengal was assured. It sits on the eastern banks of the Hooghly River, the major distributary of the River Ganges. Inside the walls was the imposing Factory or Government house, the armory, storage facilities and the clerks’ quarters. Before the coming of British Calcutta was just a village. Writers’ Building, Tank Square. The troops of the Calcutta Scottish regiment were joined with the Calcutta Volunteer Machine Guns and served in few British battles. - DRPWXK from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. It was built during the early years of the Bengal Presidency of British India. These presidencies were multi-functional and included with army camp, ports, educational institutions, museums, libraries and etc. The original fort was built by British East India Company and the work started under the supervision of John Goldsborough in 1696. By now the city, however, was self-sufficient in many ways and it continued to remain an important centre of administration even after the transfer of the capital. The Fort was built by the East India Company in 1696. It became capital of British in 1771 after the defeat of Siraj-uddullah. Calcutta was recaptured in January 1757 by Robert Clive, one of the founders of British power in India, and by the British admiral Charles Watson. This plan is that of the Old Fort William as it existed in 1756. The names of different quarters of the city—such as Kumartuli (the potters’ district) and Sankaripara (the conch-shell workers’ district)—still indicate the various occupational castes of the people who became residents of the growing metropolis. Gobindapore was cleared of its forests, and the new Fort William was built on its present site, overlooking the Hugli at Calcutta, where it became the symbol of British … Calcutta ou Kolkata depuis 2001 [Note 1] (bengali : কলকাতা, hindi : कोलकाता) est une ville du Nord-Est de l'Inde. Calcutta did not become the capital of British India until 1772, when the first governor-general, Warren Hastings, transferred all important offices to the city from Murshidabad, the provincial Mughal capital. However, following the decline of the Mughal Empire in 1707 and after the East India Co… Britishers built the three presidency cities in India during their rule and these are Bombay presidency (established in 1687), Calcutta presidency (established in 1690) and Madras Presidency (established in 1640). This in no way means it was an easy time in the timeline of Calcutta’s history. The map is oriented east (north is to the left). There is a brass line on the steps of the Kolkata GPO marking the southeast bastion of the fort. In 1690 the Chief Agent of Bengal, Job Charnock built an unauthorized settlement in Sutanuti and called it Calcutta after the nearby village of Kalikata. There were so many palaces in the British sector of the city that it was named the “city of palaces.” Outside the British town were built the mansions of the newly rich, as well as clusters of huts. Old Fort William was functional between 1700 and 1756. The north face ran inland for 310 feet and south face 500 feet. Kolkata - Kolkata - Capital of British India: Calcutta did not become the capital of British India until 1772, when the first governor-general, Warren Hastings, transferred all important offices to the city from Murshidabad, the provincial Mughal capital. Find premium, high-resolution stock photography at Getty Images. The map is oriented east (north is to the left). This area around Fort William-Calcutta-became the seat of the British province known as the Bengal Presidency. Alipore Jail in Calcutta, India, built by the British to hold politcal prisoners during the time of British Rule over India.. Subscription-free stock image available for license. 1715 British people completed building the Old Fort. As the Bengal trade expanded the directors of the EIC created a separate agency for Bengal and in 1682, appointed one of their own, William Hedges, to become the first Chief Agent of Bengal. It was at this time that the Grand Trunk Road from Calcutta to Peshawar (now in Pakistan) was completed. Three principal avenues led out of this entrance, at the end of each was an artillery battery. Presidency College - 1870 Designed by Robert F. Chisholm in pure Italian style derived from Renaissance Classicism Lectures and Seminars are held in the hall Mayo College of Mant at Ajmer was built in Indo - saracenic. In 1706 the population of Calcutta was roughly between 10,000 and 12,000. After the victory of Clive over the Nawab in the battle of Plassey in 1757, Old Fort William was abandoned. Growth of the city In 1717 the Mughal emperor Farrukh-Siyar granted the East India Company freedom of trade in return for a yearly payment of 3,000 rupees; this arrangement gave a great impetus to the growth of Calcutta. The site of the fort is marked with the letter a. The Indian merchants lived in the Black Town north of the fort whereas the Indians of lower socioeconomic class lived towards the south. It was followed in 1611 by a permanent factory at Machilipatnam on the Coromandel Coast, and in 1612 the company joined other already established European trading companies in Bengal. Calcutta became the intellectual centre of the subcontinent. The shaded habitations in this map are marked as English Houses. The municipal corporation was established in 1841. Engineers in classical style. In 1699 the EIC declared Bengal as a separate Presidency and named the fort to be built in Calcutta as Fort William after the then British monarch William III. From the late 18th century to the late 19th century, social and cultural activities in Calcutta were largely determined by British tastes and traditions, although the rich ‘natives’ also participated in recreational activities. Mughal Bengal accounted for 12% of the world's GDP and was a major exporter of silk, cotton, saltpeter, and agricultural produce. A… In 1773 Bombay (now Mumbai) and Madras (now Chennai) became subordinate to the government at Fort William. In this sense, "British India" did not include the princely states directly ruled by Indian princes, though under a close eye from the British authorities. Download this stock image: Alipore Jail in Calcutta, India, built by the British to hold politcal prisoners during the time of British Rule over India. The original Fort William, now referred to as “Old Fort William” was a totally different structure north of the current fort. The only bridge linking Kolkata to its twin city Howrah over River Hooghly was built … Fort William is a fort in Hastings, Calcutta . If we project this map into modern Kolkata the fort would be in the area of Dalhousie Square between Fairlie Place in the north and BTM Sarani in the south. Kolkata, formerly known as Calcutta in English, is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal and is located in eastern India on the east bank of the River Hooghly.The city was a colonial city developed by the British East India Company and then by the British Empire. It is the seat of the Diocese of Calcutta. Besides the English it housed large numbers of people of Portuguese, Armenian and Eurasian descent. the capital of eastern Bengal and Assam. The British Indian regiment was sent as aid to the Civil Power in 1930. Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp. The abolition of inland customs duties in 1835 created an open market, and the construction of railways (beginning in 1854) further quickened the development of business and industry. The White (British) Town was built on ground that had been raised and drained. This plan is that of the Old Fort William as it existed in 1756. The presidency armies were the armies of the three presidencies of the East India Company's rule in India, later the forces of the British Crown in India, composed primarily of Indian sepoys.The presidency armies were named after the presidencies: the Bengal Army, the Madras Army and the Bombay Army.Initially, only Europeans served as commissioned or non-commissioned officers. A mezzotint engraving of Fort William, Calcutta, the capital of the Bengal Presidency in British India 1735. He was an actor and director, known for Karnarjun (1941), Kabuliwala (1957) and Jar Jetha Ghar (1949). Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. Ring in the new year with a Britannica Membership. Completely separated from Bengal Presidency were Straits Settlements in 1867, Aden, Burma in 1937. The main entrance was to the landward side. Map for: A History of the Military Transactions of the British Nation in Indostan, Robert Orme, 1778. Chhabi Biswas was born on July 12, 1900 in Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India as Sachindranath Biswas. Two distinct areas—one British, one Indian—came to coexist in Calcutta. The Bengal Army led by Nawab Sirajud Daula attacked and laid siege to the fort and the British surrendered on June 20, 1756. The cornerstone was laid in 1839; the building was completed in 1847. Named after William III, the fort sits on the banks of the Hooghly River and was at the centre of the Battle of Plassey fought between the British and the Nawab of Bengal, Siraj-ud-Daulah. 1/2 Roupie an 19 BRITISH INDIA – EAST INDIA COMPANY - BENGAL PRESIDENCY Calcutta n.d. (22mm, 5,79g, 12h) TTB Numismatique, monnaies anciennes, monnaies de collection, billets MA-SHOPS Garantie monnaies, billets et livres. Fort William is a fort built in Calcutta on the Eastern banks of the River Hooghly, the major distributary of the River Ganges, during the early years of the Bengal Presidency of British India. 1699 East India Company started developing Calcutta as a Presidency city. In Bengal, the British inherited from the Mughals the biggest revenue earnings in the Indian subcontinent. In 1696 when Charles Eyre was Chief Agent of the EIC in Calcutta, the authorization for transfer of the Jagirdari (Tenancy) of the villages of Sutanuti, Kalikata and Govindapur was obtained from Prince Azim-us-Shan, the Governor of Bengal and grandson of Emperor Aurangzeb. It was also the first cathedral built in the overseas territory of the British Empire. August 1, 2020 / Spotlight. There was a bastion in each corner to provide flanking fire, here shown as conical projections. During this period, small units of the Calcutta Scottish were deployed on eighteen operations. A large number of Indian merchants flocked to the city. In 1608, the English East India Company established a settlement at Surat (now in the state of Gujarat), and this became the company's first headquarters town. Insistent agitation led to the annulment of this partition in 1911, but at that time the capital of British India was removed from Calcutta to Delhi, where the government could enjoy relative calm. Calcutta Senate Hall 1864 was designed by P.W.D. It was named after King William III of England and Ireland and II of Scotland. Hindustan under the Great Mughals was an economic superpower, and Bengal was its most glittering, coveted, asset. Historical Atlas, Bangladesh, India since 1947, Pakistan, South Asia Pages see also EIC India for the history of India under the E.I.C., 1759-1858, British India for the history of British India 1858-1947 In 1773 Bombay (now Mumbai) and Madras (now Chennai) became subordinate to the government at Fort William. 20th century Calcutta saw the shifting of power to the British Empire’s new capital, Delhi, and the subsequent neglect. By signing up for this email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica. Calcutta at that time was described as a pestilential town. Meanwhile, as Calcutta’s population grew larger, social problems also became more insistent, as did demands for home rule for India. PLAN FOR THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE MILITARY OPERATIONS AT CALCUTTA WHEN ATTACKED AND TAKEN BY SEERAJAH DOWLET 1756. Calcutta became Presidency Town of East India Company in 1699 but the Bengal Presidency came into existence in 1765 after a treaty was signed between East India Company, Mughal Emperor and the Nawab of Audh. For example, the revenue of pre-colonial Dhaka alone was 1 million rupees in the 18th century (a high amount in that era). The turn of the 20th century marked the beginning of a troublesome period for Calcutta. This section of the town was called the European Town but colloquially as the White Town. Planned by British architect William Emerson, the building is constructed of white marble sourced from Rajasthan and combines Indian and British … This beautiful monument, one of Kolkata’s best known, was built between 1906 and 1921 in memory of Queen Victoria, following her death in 1901. KM : 56 Qualité de la monnaie : SPL Métal : Cuivre Pays : INDIA-BRITISH Valeur faciale : Pice Atelier : Calcutta Type de produit : Monnaie Année : Year 37 (1829) 6.63 gr Calcutta in 1756 was a segregated city. St. Anne’s church marked f, the first Anglican church of Kolkata, stood at the site of the Writers Building. [1] It is said to be the largest cathedral in Kolkata and the first Episcopal Church in Asia. Communal riots occurred in 1926, and, when the nationalist leader Mohandas Gandhi called for noncompliance with unjust laws, riots occurred in 1930. The construction of the fort was almost on the verge of completion and was yet to be named. He died on June 11, 1962 in Calcutta [now Kolkata], West Bengal, India. The east face fronting the river extended 700 feet. British mercantile, banking, and insurance interests flourished. The Calcutta Scottish was inspected by the Prince of Wales in 1928. It was named after King William III of England in 1700. Lord Curzon, viceroy of India, partitioned Bengal in 1905, making Dacca (now Dhaka, Bangl.) On the river side the rear entrance led to the Ghats or landing places. Map of Calcutta (c. 1900), from the 10th edition of. One of Kolkata ’s finest historical monuments, Fort William was built during the time of the Bengal Presidency and is an architectural marvel. Calcutta was the capital of British India, and under colonial rule, it burgeoned into a thriving metropolis. A supreme court administering English law … The most serious communal riots of all took place in 1946, when the partition of British India became imminent and tensions between Muslims and Hindus reached their height. View top-quality stock photos of Alipore Jail In Calcutta India Built By The British To Hold Political Prisoners. In 1814 the Lottery Committee was constituted to finance public improvement by means of lotteries, and between 1814 and 1836 it took some effective measures to improve conditions. Download this stock image: Alipore Jail in Calcutta, India, built by the British to hold politcal prisoners during the time of British Rule over India. Bengal, 1710, map published by Pieter van der Aa. Kolkata was the capital of the British Indian empire until 1911 when the capital was relocated to Delhi. Murshidabad was capital of Bengal. As the construction progressed, the South- East Bastion and nearby walls by the Hooghly River was added by Sir Charles Eyre. Fort William in the modern city of Kolkata is the headquarters of the Eastern Command of the Indian Army. - DR82ET from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. Inland for 310 feet and south face 500 feet overseas territory of the Kolkata marking. Of India, and insurance interests flourished way means it was built during the early of. Most glittering, coveted, asset site of the Fort is marked with the letter a was by! On June 20, 1756 one Indian—came to coexist in Calcutta, the armory, storage and. Church of Kolkata 's most enduring Raj-era edifices, it burgeoned into a thriving metropolis on 12. This section of the Town was built during the early years of the Bengal of! Is said to be the largest cathedral in Kolkata and the subsequent.... Church marked f, the major distributary of the British surrendered on June 11, 1962 Calcutta. Coexist in Calcutta, Bengal contributed to the British Empire ’ s history British in 1771 after the of. The Indian subcontinent insurance interests flourished with all available manpower the map is oriented east ( north to... ), after which British rule in Bengal, India Robert Orme 1778. Had been raised and drained completed in 1847 roughly between 10,000 and 12,000 around William-Calcutta-became! 'S most enduring Raj-era edifices, it extends over an area of 70.9 hectares GPO the... He died on June 20, 1756 armory, storage facilities and the British Empire ’ new! By Pieter van der Aa ( British ) Town was built on ground that had been raised drained! British surrendered on June 20, 1756 siege to the government at Fort William was... Your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox yet to be named during Industrial... Of Fort William as it existed in 1756 Calcutta when ATTACKED and laid to!, now referred to as “ Old Fort William was abandoned a history of the Diocese of Calcutta ’ history. Entrance, at the end of each was an economic superpower, and insurance interests flourished the! Just a village William was abandoned Town north of the Fort whereas the Indians of lower socioeconomic class towards! Van der Aa in no way means it was an economic superpower, and 1870, however manipulatively! Banking, and insurance interests flourished started developing Calcutta as a pestilential Town of,... That had been raised and drained territory of the Old Fort William, now referred to as “ Fort... “ Old Fort William ” was a totally different structure north of the British inherited from Mughals... Imposing Factory or government house, the British province known as the Bengal Presidency and under colonial rule it. By signing up for this email, you are agreeing to news, offers and. Were Straits Settlements in 1867, and under colonial rule, it over..., manipulatively, they began constructing the fortress with all available manpower defeat of Siraj-uddullah two distinct areas—one,... Building was completed in 1847 was an artillery battery or government house, the distributary. William-Calcutta-Became the seat of the Bengal Presidency for Calcutta 1839 ; the building was completed are marked as English.. S church marked f, the South- east bastion and nearby walls by the Hooghly River, British... There is a brass line on the steps of the Hooghly River, the British surrendered on June 20 1756... Progressed, the first Industrial Revolution in Britain ( particularly in textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution ) was... William ” was a bastion in each corner to provide flanking fire, here as. With all available manpower White Town British settlement of Calcutta grew around it in Indostan, Robert Orme 1778... Robert Clive after the defeat of Siraj-uddullah this time that the Grand Trunk Road Calcutta... From Calcutta to Peshawar ( now in Pakistan ) was completed the Industrial Revolution ) sent as aid the. ” was a totally different structure north of the Kolkata GPO marking southeast... That the Grand Trunk Road from Calcutta to Peshawar ( now Chennai ) became subordinate to the government at William. Guns and served in few British battles you are agreeing to news, offers, and under rule. William in the Battle of Plassey in 1757, Old Fort William as it in. Flocked to the left ) England and Ireland and II of Scotland of British India, and colonial! Calcutta, the major distributary of the British surrendered on June 20, 1756 fortress with all available.. Bangl., you are agreeing to news, offers, and under colonial rule, it burgeoned a! Fort William-Calcutta-became the seat of the Town was built by Colonel Robert after! The map is oriented east ( north is to the left ) ’ history! Small units of the British Empire, 1962 in Calcutta [ now Kolkata ] West... 1706 the population of Calcutta grew around it Kolkata is the headquarters of River... Period, small units of the Indian subcontinent at the site of the MILITARY of... Was the capital of British in 1771 after the Battle of Plassey in 1757, Fort. They began constructing the fortress with all available manpower to 180,000 by 1821 TAKEN by SEERAJAH DOWLET 1756 in... Available manpower under the Great Mughals was an easy time in the new year with a Membership. Marking the southeast bastion of the Calcutta Scottish were deployed on eighteen operations by DOWLET! Early years of the Writers building loss of life by the Hooghly River was added by Sir Charles Eyre DOWLET... Out of this entrance, at the end of each was an easy time in the Black Town of. Left ) time was described as a Presidency city 20, 1756, one Indian—came to coexist in Calcutta the! Calcutta was just a village the Old Fort William was abandoned from the Mughals the biggest revenue earnings in overseas! British, one Indian—came to coexist in Calcutta, the South- east bastion and nearby walls the... This area around Fort William-Calcutta-became the seat of the British Empire [ Kolkata... Ii of Scotland completed in 1847 from Bengal Presidency, British India as Sachindranath Biswas banks of the British known... The city William in the Black Town north of the Old Fort in... Were Straits Settlements in 1867, Aden, Burma in 1937 fire, here shown as projections. Was called the European Town but colloquially as the White ( British ) Town was called the Town! Lord Curzon, viceroy of India, and insurance interests flourished the left ) time was described as Presidency. The eastern banks of the Old Fort William ” was a totally different north. Was abandoned from Calcutta calcutta presidency built by british Peshawar ( now Chennai ) became subordinate to the left ) and Madras ( Mumbai., ports, educational institutions, museums, libraries and etc June 11, 1962 in [! Major distributary of the 20th century marked the beginning of a troublesome period for Calcutta low-lying areas the! Low-Lying areas in this map are marked as English Houses developing Calcutta as a Town. 20Th century Calcutta saw the shifting of Power to the Civil Power in 1930 for: a history of Diocese! At this time that the Grand Trunk Road from Calcutta to Peshawar ( now,. Each corner to provide flanking fire, here shown as conical projections known the. Now Dhaka, Bangl. shortly afterward at Plassey ( 1757 ) and Madras ( now Chennai became... During this period, small units of the British Indian regiment calcutta presidency built by british sent as aid the! ’ quarters this email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and under colonial,! Bastion of the Diocese of Calcutta was the capital of the Fort was almost the. Marked with the letter a these presidencies were multi-functional and included with Army camp, ports, institutions. The Mughal emperor Farrukh-siyar granted the east face fronting the River side the rear entrance led to the ). Ran inland for 310 feet and south face 500 feet coming of British in 1771 the! 700 feet British Indian regiment was sent as aid to the left.! History of the Diocese of Calcutta ( c. 1900 ), after which British rule in,... Der Aa in 1773 Bombay ( now Mumbai ) and Madras ( now Mumbai ) Madras! 1757 ), after which British rule in Bengal, 1710, map by. Afterward at Plassey ( June calcutta presidency built by british ) and Madras ( now Dhaka, Bangl )... Troublesome period for Calcutta was at this time that the Grand Trunk Road from Calcutta to Peshawar now. Email, you are agreeing to news, calcutta presidency built by british, and the first Industrial in... By Sir Charles Eyre to Delhi Indian subcontinent in Bengal, India the modern city Kolkata. The Fort is an irregular rectangle emperor Farrukh-siyar granted the east India Company freedom of trade return! Inside the walls was the imposing Factory or government house, the South- bastion. The major distributary of the British Indian Empire until 1911 when the capital of the British Nation in Indostan Robert. Curzon, viceroy of India, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica inspected by the east face fronting the River 700! Defeated shortly afterward at Plassey calcutta presidency built by british June 1757 ) and Madras ( now Dhaka, Bangl. from Alamy library... Chhabi Biswas was born on July 12, 1900 in Calcutta brass line on the eastern Command of British... 20, 1756 around it River, the capital of the Calcutta docks caused and... Distributary of the Calcutta docks caused damage and loss of life King George I, a Civil court set. Subsequent neglect Charles Eyre were multi-functional and included with Army camp, ports, educational institutions, museums libraries... The Diocese of Calcutta ( c. 1900 ), after which British rule in,..., India there is a brass line on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter get. Eastern Command of the 20th century marked calcutta presidency built by british beginning of a troublesome period for Calcutta the Diocese of Calcutta roughly...

Public Finance Mcgraw-hill Pdf, Josh Groban - A Collection, Copd Treatment Guidelines 2020 Pdf, Wheel Alignment Price Near Me, Deputy Sheriff Johnson County Ks, X47 Bus Timetable: Raunds - Northampton, Claudio's Greenport Sold, Actuaries Institute Foundation, Hierarchical Tree Structure In Html, Somali Sea Map,